Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Mula kay Nuelene Gallos

It’s a Mens World: A Book Review.
January 14, 2012 by nuelene

It’s not my first time to read a book written by local authors. There’s Bob Ong kaya. But it’s my first time to write a review about that.

It’s a Mens World was written by Bebang Siy and released in 2011 by Anvil Publishing. I wish I can publish a book too. In the future.

The cover photo was a six to seven-year old girl. I don’t know if she’s that though.

Usually, from the first look, maybe some of you would read Mens as Men’s. Or maybe, it was just me.

It was not a typo. It was actually a short term for Menstruation. Yes! But mind you, the book was anything but X-rated. Which, to the biggest consternation of my siblings, is my 100 % disappointment. Haha!

It was a(n)* autobiography written in a funny way so readers would not be bored. I wouldn’t read Arroyo’s autobiography (or even Bush, bestfriends kaya sila) unless it was required by my school. Haha!

Reading this book made me look back during my childhood days.

Those times when I played patintero, hide and seek, langit-lupa, habul-habulan, 10-20, Sawsaw suka, Mahuli Taya, and other games I bet children of this decade are not playing. 21st century children (most probably) are staying in their houses playing PSP, laptop, iPad, or Tetris in Facebook.

80’s and 90’s are the best!

I felt like I am close to Bebang Siy just by reading her book. It was as if I am in a gallery and I was looking at candid black and white pictures taken by a Polaroid. Siy definitely described what Manila was during her time. I’ve been to Baywalk long before it was called that. But since Bebang is older than me, I think what I have seen are those what we called tira-tira. haha!

This is a book created for all audiences.

She’s a good author. And brave at that. I wouldn’t reveal any secrets using my real name. Call me names but there are many things to consider. I wouldn’t want my father declaring a war. Exaggerated much?

Anyway, grab a copy of this one. I’m so lucky, I got a BFF who lend me her copy which she borrowed from her classmate. Haha!

nuelene

May 23, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Hello Miss Bebang. Salamat sa pagbisita sa blog. Pwede mo siyang i-post kaso lang nakakahiya kasi hindi naman talaga ‘to proper review. Naisip ko lang na di ko talaga gustong palampasin yung opportunity na ma-i-share sa iba yung thoughts ko, kesyo gumamit ako ng mga salitang di makikita sa Philippine dictionary.

Sa totoo lang, pinatawa at pinaiyak ako ng libro na to. Nakaka-relate ako dun sa pagkakaroon ng crush (ayieee!) at pagbili ng buko at pandan juice sa Divi, pati na nga yung Mrs. one fourth. Haha. Pero yung nakakatawa sa lahat eh yung pangalan sa phonebook na ‘Bangkay.’ HAHA!



Reposted with permission from Miss Gallos. Thank you po! Sana ay lagi kang magbabasa ng mga akdang Filipino!

Check her site here

http://nuelenegallos.wordpress.com/2012/01/14/its-a-mens-world-a-book-review/

2 comments:

Angel Flores said...

Hi Bebang, ang iyong akdang "It's a Men's World" ay aking ibinigay na regalo sa aking nobyo na nagtatrabaho sa Hong Kong. Mahilig kaming tumawa kaya naman ay hindi ako nag-atubiling bilhin ang iyong libro at ipinadala ko sa kanya (mas mahal pa nga ang pagpapadala kaysa sa aking ipinadala). Hehe. Kanina ay kausap ko siya at sinabi niyang natapos na niya ang libro. Nagustuhan niya ito. Hanga ako sa iyo.

Pink Line said...

saktong naghahanap ako ng bagong book na mababasa :)

Hindi copyright, pero usapin pa rin ng karapatan ng manunulat

  Minsan, hindi talaga usapin ng copyright ang isang bagay. Ito ay recently kong naengkuwentro. Si Kyla ay na-meet ko sa isang writers works...